Announcing a photography competition so exciting it has lured the Bearman himself out to play
Win a surf clinic with Adam Griffiths, aka Bearman, national longboarding champion and a big name on the international circuit. This could be the surf that elevates your game and takes your surfing to the next level.
2023 marks the 60th anniversary of surfing at Great Western, the UKs original surf beach, so we want to collect photos to help us tell the story of life here on this patch of paradise. We’ll be talking more about this landmark birthday soon, and celebrating it in an epic way later in the season. So watch this space for more info on that..
But for now, we want to talk to all you keen photographers out there… We are launching a photography competition to find the ultimate shots of Great Western, the OG, the true birthplace of British surfing.
Through your photos of the beach, the slope, the cafe and the surf we want to build a picture of what this unique and amazing place means to us all, to locals and visitors alike. Great Western has a magic hold over us, so how do you explain that with words, or communicate it to someone who hasn’t ever been here.
So that’s your challenge. Can you encapsulate the vibe of Great Western through your photos? Can you help us tell the story of this special beach, and mark the landmark 60th birthday of British surfing.
We want you to submit your most memorable photos, the sunny & the stormy, the blue sky & the moody, the massive swell and wild wipeouts… we want it all. We want to admire Great Western from every angle and capture her many faces, beauty spots and quirks. She’s a hell of a character… so let’s show her off her for all to see.
GOOD LUCK EVERYONE… HAPPY SNAPPING.
HERE’S HOW YOU CAN ENTER THE PHOTOGRAPHY COMPETITION
- The competition will be live from April until August 2023
- There will be several category winners and an overall winner
- The categories are: Greatest Junior Photo (under 16), Greatest Beach Vibe, Greatest Drone Shot, Greatest Surf Shot & Great Western Wild Cards (for all the weird and wonderful pics that can’t be labelled or put in a box)
- Please enter your photos by emailing them to us at firstname.lastname@example.org, subject line ‘Photo Competition’
- You can submit historical photos, ones you’ve taken in the past, or ones you’ve taken today, as long as they are your shots, or yours to share
- You can send us as many photos as you want, so whenever you get a good one please share it with us, we’d love to see them all
- Please provide us with your name, age, contact details and instagram handle so we can credit you when we share the pics
- If there’s a story behind the photo please tell us… a narrative or backstory often completes a picture, so we’d love to hear all about it
- We’d also love it if you please upload your pics to instagram and tag Great Western Beach and use the #capturegreatwestern
- Please note, Great Western has the right to share the pictures on social media or on their website as the competition progresses, we also have the right to print and frame winning pictures in our cafe
- The category winners and overall champion will be announced in August
WHAT ARE THE CATEGORIES & THE PRIZES…
There will be several individual category winners (who will get ace prizes) and an overall winner who’ll hit the Bearman jackpot. The categories you can enter are:
- Greatest Junior Photo (under 16)
- Greatest Beach Vibe
- Greatest Drone Shot
- Greatest Surf Shot
- Great Western Wild Cards (for all the weird and wonderful pics that can’t be labelled or put in a box)
THE OVERALL WINNER WILL BE ANNOUNCED IN AUGUST & WILL WIN A SURF CLINIC WITH THE PATRON SAINT OF SURFING, SIR BEARMAN HIMSELF. IT’S AN AWESOME PRIZE.